Why You Should CrossFit!
CrossFit is constantly varied, functional movements, executed at high intensity. We will get into the benefits of varied exercise and functional movements in the future, but right now I want to focus on high intensity. It is without a doubt that high intensity exercise has greater health benefits than any other form of exercise. This has been shown time and time again in numerous studies. Here are a few of the benefits you will receive from CrossFit.
1) EPOC (Post exercise oxygen consumption): High intensity exercise increases the calories you burn after you finish exercising. Low intensity exercise does not have this response, you only burn calories while completing the steady state exercise, and with high intensity exercise you continue to burn calories at a higher rate for 24 hours after your workout.
2) VO2 MAX: The amount of air you can transfer to your body in your blood increases more with high intensity training than we steady state low intensity training.
3) Burns more calories and fat: Studies show that 15 minutes of high intensity workout will burn more than 1 hour of low intensity workout on a treadmill.
4) Increased Metabolism: The amount of calories you burn directly after the workout is substantially increased with high intensity over low intensity.
5) Heart Health: The higher heart rates achieved in high intensity workouts make your heart and arteries more flexible. This means better heart health. Not only that, but high intensity workouts have been shown to reduce cholesterol levels.
6) Diabetes? High intensity training decreases insulin sensitivity so your body will handle sugar better. This can and will reverse the effects of type 2 diabetes (With a good diet of course).
7) Builds Endurance and energy: High intensity exercise changes the cellular structure of your cells. Specifically in the mitochondria, this is responsible for energy production. This allows you to have more energy in whatever activity you are doing.
8) MANY MORE!
These are only a few of the benefits you can and will gain from CrossFit. CrossFit is designed to promote general physical preparedness. This means you will be physically prepared for whatever life throws at you.
By: Dr. Derek Nelson D.C., M.S., CSCS, CF-L1, FMS